The costs of moving are many. The deposit for your new home, transportation of your belongings, the costs of hiring a moving company Los Angeles, etc. As this can all be a little overwhelming, it’s only normal to look for ways to reduce your moving expenses. So, today we’re here to help you with that. We want to talk about the things you can do to save money on your moving supplies. Because packing is one of the bigger aspects of any relocation, you’ve probably guessed that packing supplies are another cost to factor into the moving price. But don’t worry, the price doesn’t have to be steep. So, let’s see how you can reduce the costs of your moving supplies and make moving cheaper.
Ways of saving money on moving supplies
1. Rent instead of buying boxes
Before you decide what kind of supplies you’ll get, you should be aware of all of your options. One of the most popular options nowadays is renting plastic boxes. And it’s for good reason.
A lot of companies offer clients the option of renting the exact number of boxes they need for their relocation. The company delivers the boxes to your doorstep and picks them up from your new address once you unpack them. This way, you’re not creating clutter in your home, you don’t have to go out in search of supplies and you don’t have to buy boxes you won’t need later. And, of course, by renting instead of buying you’re also saving money on your moving supplies.
We suggest getting moving quotes Los Angeles and figuring out how much money you’re ready to spend on supplies. If you want to save money on your moving supplies, look into renting.
2. Use what you already have in your home
Even if you don’t have old cardboard boxes lying around in your garage or basement, we’re sure you have other things you can use for packing. By utilizing the things you already own, you’re saving yourself the trouble of looking for moving boxes and you’re also saving money on packing supplies. So, here are some things you probably already have and can use for packing.
- bags, backpacks, duffel bags
- trash bags and plastic bags
- reusable grocery bags
- leave things in drawers
- blankets, sheets, and towels for wrapping
3. Find free cardboard boxes and save money on your moving supplies
If you’re looking to save money on moving supplies, there are a few things you can do in order to get the supplies completely for free. One of the things you can do is to look for free cardboard boxes. In case you’re not sure how to do that, we’ve prepared a few tips.
- Search for used boxes online. There are various websites like Freecycle Network, Craigslist, etc. where people offer their old packing supplies for free. Give them a try.
- Borrow used boxes from friends. In case some of your friends, family, or even neighbors have recently relocated, ask them if they have any leftover boxes. They probably don’t need them, so you can borrow them and save money.
- Get free boxes from grocery stores. Another great way to obtain free boxes is by visiting local supermarkets, bookstores, liquor stores, pharmacies and checking if they have boxes they don’t need. Because they get regular deliveries, they probably have plenty of boxes they will end up throwing out.
- Use your old boxes. Have you, by any chance, moved in the past and saved the boxes? If so, it’s time to dig them out and put them to use again.
4. Downsize your home – you’ll need fewer boxes
The number one tip you’ll hear when it comes to moving and packing is to downsize your home at the beginning of this process. There are many reasons for this.
- Packing will be easier and quicker.
- Your home won’t be as cluttered and overflowing with stuff – a clear space equals a clear mind.
- Moving will be cheaper if you have fewer things to relocate.
- You’ll need fewer moving boxes if you have less stuff to pack.
- You can earn money by selling things you don’t need.
If you’re looking for a way to save money on your packing materials, then reason number 4 is the one that interests you most. Getting rid of the things you don’t need to relocate means that you won’t have to buy or rent as many boxes. Therefore, you’ll save some money and make packing a much quicker project. There are only upsides to downsizing your home, so don’t overlook its importance.
Extra decluttering tip: Make the most of downsizing your home and sell the things you’re getting rid of. This way, you’re not only saving money on packing materials, but you’re also earning some extra cash for your move.
5. Get packing services – professional packers come with their own supplies
If spending money on packing materials seems like a waste of money and you want to avoid it, we have one final tip. Namely, a lot of moving companies offer packing services to their customers. This means that packing professionals will come to your home and pack up all your possessions. That way, you’re saving your time and energy and spending your money in a smarter way.
If you hire professional packers, you don’t have to think about moving supplies – the packers come with their own high-quality materials. So, instead of buying boxes, you won’t need after you move, you’re investing in services that will make moving easier and quicker. So, if you’re looking for a way to save money on your moving supplies, consider investing your money in extra assistance instead of spending it on supplies.